Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleriverbb

Ideas for wood scrap storage?

littleriverbb
14 years ago

My DH has a tendency to save all types and sizes of wood scraps (pieces of trim, 1xs, 2xs, plywood,... you name it) because we "might need them" for a future project. I don't complain because I'm often in need of a small piece of "something" for a project I'm working on. My problem is that most of the scraps are leaning haphazardly against the walls and tucked in various corners of our garage/workspace and the chaos is starting to get to me.

Does anyone have any good ways of storing wood scraps (and taming the chaos)??? Got photos??? Your ideas are appreciated.

Comments (4)

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

[me] I'm bobsmyuncle and I'm a scrapaholic.
    [all] Hi, bobsmyuncle.

The ideal way is to build a segmented box to stack the scraps in. Having it organized enough so that if you are looking for say a 1 foot 1x4, you know roughly where to look for it and don't have to dig through part-sheets of plywood. The box itself will use up some scrap in its construction.

The next thing is to realize when it's time to let go. Recognize when scrap is usable and when it's not and toss it in the garbage can. Or when you have enough of something and discard the excess.

Part of the organization is going to depend on whether you have 8-12" pieces left or 4' pieces left, 1' squares of plywood or 4'x6' squares of plywood.

Please do not let my wife see this post.

• User
    14 years ago

Since scrapaholics derive as much pleasure from pawing through, er, exploring in the stash, I use, er, recommend a large barrel for the long stuff and a smaller open top/front box for the smaller stuff.

Since I often make my own stock for picture frames, furniture trim, and other uses, I have a lot of that kind of thing simply as a guide should I want to duplicate it. Those usually are stored under the workbench.

I have a corner of the shop where I have temporary storage of that kind of stuff. I am gonna clean that out next week. Just as soon as I go through the barrel and the box to make room. (Sigh).

• littleriverbb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bobsmyuncle and handymac! Your responses definitely made my night!

I like the idea for the segmented box for the smaller pieces, and I guess a barrel would work for the longer ones. I'm still not sure about the plywood-type pieces though. Hmmm... maybe some sort of a rack like is used to store cookie sheets (and the like) vertically in a cabinet, but on a bigger scale. I'll have to give it some thought though.

As for knowing when to let go of certain pieces... isn't the first step of recovery is admitting you have a problem, and I'm not sure hubby is there yet. At this point I'll just have to work on encouraging some order and hope the rest comes over time. Thanks.

• User
    14 years ago

If you look at woodworking websites online, many of the ones that have plans have a plan for a plywood storage cart, exactly as you described.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus