Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with stain/ wood putty problem

Posted by Mealie (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 05 at 22:06

I started to stain our new wood doors and trim today and ran into a "problem". The doors are Doug Fir. I sanded, used a tack cloth, filled nail holes with Minwax wood putty, allowed to dry, sanded again, tack cloth again, used Minwax pre-stain conditioner, sanded again, tack cloth again, then stained with Minwax Gel Stain in Cherrywood.
The areas where I used the putty look awful. There are light rings around each nail hole.
So....
Where did I go wrong (I have 5 more doors and lots of trim to go...)?
Should I stain BEFORE I putty? Use a different putty?
Anyone have any ideas on how to blend down the light spots?
Thanks for your ideas...
Mealie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with stain/ wood putty problem

Try PL putty. Lowe's carries it.

o

Stain Putty.

HD and Ace Hardware carry it. It is a powder and is mixed with the stain used on the project to make a filler.

I have used it with the client watching---the hole disappears, they cannot see where the hole was---even when they never took their eyes off the spot.

o
Do I stain first?

So are you saying stain first and then putty?
thanks
Mealie

o

Stain the wood and assemble. Just before finishing, mix the Stain Putty using the stain used on the wood. Fill and let dry. Sand lightly---hand sanding is enough---and finish.

o

thanks!

o

Stain before putty. The rings are caused because you didn't clean off the excess putty. Use a rag dampened with paint thinner to clean up each hole as you go. If you put one coat of poly or the conditioner first cleaning up with thinnerit doesn't leave those rings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here