Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Making house shutters

marys1000
19 years ago

I just did a quick look on line.

Vinyl shutters are about 30-40 bucks then it jumps up to 230 or so for composite, wood, then double that for fiberglass.

How hard would it be to make house shutters? I'm not a wood worker but I could probably get some advice/oversight at the wood working shop on base if I had good instructions. Seems like this is something that wouldn't be too hard and could save some money. Obivously I'm not talking raised panel but the board and batten style look pretty easy? Course the birdhouse I built looks like a 3rd grader built it:(

Mary

Comments (10)

• randy427
    19 years ago

It can be simple or complicated, depending on the design of the shutter.
    Years ago, with a LOT fewer tools than I have now, I made some with vertical 1x3s, spaced about 1/2" apart, and horizontal 1x4 pieces near the top and bottom. I mounted them with 2" square pieces of wood in back to make them stand out from the wall. You can probably find pre-primed 1x boards at a contractor's supply yard to make the painting go faster.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I looked and looked for some plans but couldn't find any.
    Now what?
    Its a new house - I don't want it to look amateur.

• jpc57
    19 years ago

I'm also in a new house, and looking for advice/ideas/plans for making board and batten shutters! I'll post any info here if I find it. I saw some on a house today on my way home from picking my son up from school...I might stop by there and ask them if I can look at them up close and maybe phtograph them. The worse that can happen is they say no, right? :)

Julie on Virginia's Middle Peninsula

• vertrx7
    19 years ago

A while back, there was an article in Woodsmith magazine or Wood magazine, I believe, on making your own wooden shutters. Both magazines have websites to go to for back issue searches and information.
    You might also try Home Handyman for information as well as Workbench magazine put out by the same people who publish Woodsmith.
    Ralf

• abnorm
    19 years ago

As Seen on TV........Ron Hazelton

Here is a link that might be useful: New Orleans Style Shutters

• putz
    19 years ago

There are several web sites "out there" that have plans ans instructions for making Plantation Shutters. (Google on "Plantation Shutters"). There was a two-part New Yankee Workshop show on Shop Jigs a while back. One of the jigs is for making fixed shutters or cafe doors (the slats don't open). The video and plans from that program are avaiable through the NYS site.

-- Steve

• jewel_diyshutters_com
    15 years ago

I just replied to something to a blog that I found in making shutters on about.com. Try this link which gives you some how to do plans for a fixed louver type, please read my comment )

Here is the link and good luck with your project: http://woodworking.about.com/b/2008/01/27/how-to-make-louvers-for-doors-window-shutters-more.htm

-Jewel

Here is a link that might be useful: Kestrel Shutters & Doors

• woodchuckcanuck
    15 years ago

Here are some shutter plans. These are for indoors but the same construction methods can be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: window shutters free woodworking plans

• missybtx
    15 years ago

Here is a link to some instructions and diagrams. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.woodshoptips.com

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Board and batten are about as simple as it gets.

Raised panel types are a littler tougher, but the router bits to cope and stick the frame are easily found, and panel raising is not very hard on a router (or even a table saw).