Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making house shutters

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 22:03

I just did a quick look on line.
Vinyl shutters are about 30-40 bucks then it jumps up to 230 or so for composite, wood, then double that for fiberglass.

How hard would it be to make house shutters? I'm not a wood worker but I could probably get some advice/oversight at the wood working shop on base if I had good instructions. Seems like this is something that wouldn't be too hard and could save some money. Obivously I'm not talking raised panel but the board and batten style look pretty easy? Course the birdhouse I built looks like a 3rd grader built it:(

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making house shutters

It can be simple or complicated, depending on the design of the shutter.
Years ago, with a LOT fewer tools than I have now, I made some with vertical 1x3s, spaced about 1/2" apart, and horizontal 1x4 pieces near the top and bottom. I mounted them with 2" square pieces of wood in back to make them stand out from the wall. You can probably find pre-primed 1x boards at a contractor's supply yard to make the painting go faster.

o

I looked and looked for some plans but couldn't find any.
Now what?
Its a new house - I don't want it to look amateur.

o

I'm also in a new house, and looking for advice/ideas/plans for making board and batten shutters! I'll post any info here if I find it. I saw some on a house today on my way home from picking my son up from school...I might stop by there and ask them if I can look at them up close and maybe phtograph them. The worse that can happen is they say no, right? :)

Julie on Virginia's Middle Peninsula

o

A while back, there was an article in Woodsmith magazine or Wood magazine, I believe, on making your own wooden shutters. Both magazines have websites to go to for back issue searches and information.
You might also try Home Handyman for information as well as Workbench magazine put out by the same people who publish Woodsmith.
Ralf

o

As Seen on TV........Ron Hazelton

Here is a link that might be useful: New Orleans Style Shutters

o

There are several web sites "out there" that have plans ans instructions for making Plantation Shutters. (Google on "Plantation Shutters"). There was a two-part New Yankee Workshop show on Shop Jigs a while back. One of the jigs is for making fixed shutters or cafe doors (the slats don't open). The video and plans from that program are avaiable through the NYS site.

-- Steve

o

I just replied to something to a blog that I found in making shutters on about.com. Try this link which gives you some how to do plans for a fixed louver type, please read my comment )

Here is the link and good luck with your project: http://woodworking.about.com/b/2008/01/27/how-to-make-louvers-for-doors-window-shutters-more.htm

-Jewel

Here is a link that might be useful: Kestrel Shutters & Doors

o

Here are some shutter plans. These are for indoors but the same construction methods can be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: window shutters free woodworking plans

o

Here is a link to some instructions and diagrams. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.woodshoptips.com

o

Board and batten are about as simple as it gets.

Raised panel types are a littler tougher, but the router bits to cope and stick the frame are easily found, and panel raising is not very hard on a router (or even a table saw).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here