Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reeree_natural

should I?

reeree_natural
16 years ago

Hi! I found this dresser on ebay. Looks like a great piece and the price is right. The only thing I am not crazy about, and that is, it's painted..any experts on here that can give you opinion on stripping it to the wood finish, or is that too hard to tell by the picture? I have written to the seller and I have not heard back from him/her. This is the second time it is listed. Makes me wonder why no one bid..??

I think it is a beautiful dresser..what do you think of it? worth it?

Thanks

Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: dresser

Comments (5)

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Very unlikely to be worth it. I can see in some of the photos that the wood has some dings and tearout from careless machining, not to mention you have no idea what wood it's made of or whether it's full of bondo. Even if it were a high-quality piece (which I doubt) it would be a big job to strip and refinish it.

• Stocky
    16 years ago

At best that piece is made of Cherry.
    It's a big project to strip off that paint and then you have to be concerned about being able to get all the paint out of the grain as well as the detail work.

IMO , I would pass. Keep an eye on in your neighborhood on cleanup week. I bet you'll find a similar piece for free.

• poodlepup
    16 years ago

This looks EXACTY like the dresser I am trying to refinish!
    I don't know what the wood is, but different parts of the dresser take the stain differently. None of it takes the stain well, or evenly. It will end up light colored, & crappy looking. Mine was that same cream color!
    It was fairly easy to strip, but a hopeless refinish job.
    I am pretty sure it is just cheap paint grade wood (Ash?)
    -meant to be distressed off white & in a little kid's room.
    Go look at my post (refinishing dresser that's supposed to be white) and you will see what I am going through!

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all of you for your honesty! I really do think it's a very nice looking dresser. .but with out the paint. It does look like a huge job to tackle....

stocky..I have read a few of your posts, you know your stuff, thank you for your honest opinion, I really do appreciate it!

Kate
    I did read your posts, but didnÂt see a picture, did you post one and I am missing it?? If not, I would love to see it.. sounds like you have your hands full.. It must be a beautiful piece! Good luck with it..try not to pull all your hair out (smile)
    Ree

• poodlepup
    16 years ago

I will try to take a before and after picture, & post them.

It's not going to be Great, but I think i will go ahead with it.