Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hehateme_gw

Walnut stain for Cherry cabinets

hehateme
13 years ago

I am thinking of finishing my basement. In my top 2 levels I have brazilian cherry floors, Cherry 3 panel door and Cherry cabinets.

Initially I thought that I will keep everything the same in my lower level. I got a quote that included the same wood and color.

Later on I decided that I wanted a darker color like walnut. Here is an example of the color I like for cabinets and doors.

http://www.casaverdedesign.com/portfolio#cv-portfolio-02

I was told that Cherry does not stain well and most people like Cherry in its natural color.

The only option I was given was a mahogony stain on cherry. I don't think mahogony will be anywhere close to the walnut color shown above.

I was told that if I want that color I should choose birch or poplar for the doors and cabinets. I don't know much about these wood types.

How do poplar and birch compare to Cherry in durability and looks. I am not sure the builder is going to give me a lot of credit for downgrading from Cherry to ther other wood types so I am having a hard time making a decision. Will Poplar and Cherry be as durable and nice as Cherry? Will they look cheap?

Let me know if have any suggestions for me.

Comment (1)