Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut stain for Cherry cabinets

Posted by hehateme (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 21:27

I am thinking of finishing my basement. In my top 2 levels I have brazilian cherry floors, Cherry 3 panel door and Cherry cabinets.
Initially I thought that I will keep everything the same in my lower level. I got a quote that included the same wood and color.
Later on I decided that I wanted a darker color like walnut. Here is an example of the color I like for cabinets and doors.
http://www.casaverdedesign.com/portfolio#cv-portfolio-02
I was told that Cherry does not stain well and most people like Cherry in its natural color.
The only option I was given was a mahogony stain on cherry. I don't think mahogony will be anywhere close to the walnut color shown above.
I was told that if I want that color I should choose birch or poplar for the doors and cabinets. I don't know much about these wood types.
How do poplar and birch compare to Cherry in durability and looks. I am not sure the builder is going to give me a lot of credit for downgrading from Cherry to ther other wood types so I am having a hard time making a decision. Will Poplar and Cherry be as durable and nice as Cherry? Will they look cheap?
Let me know if have any suggestions for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut stain for Cherry cabinets

"Brazilian cherry" is Jatoba.

Cherry and Jatoba look nothing alike.

Have your contractor bring samples, stained and finished, of the actual materials he will use... or is proposing to use.

The type of wood used, Poplar, Birch, Cherry, or Jatoba, is irrelevant to whether the product will look "cheap"

Poplar is a little bit softer than Cherry, Birch is harder than Cherry, however the quality of the finish is more important than the relative hardness of the wood, for your application.

Check out some of his other work and you will know exactly what he is capable of producing, and whether it is going to meet your standards.

And I recommend getting at least another bid, even if you are totally sure about using the one contractor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here