Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help deciding on penetrating oil or satin for table top.

Posted by Boops2012 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 21:00

I recieved a dining table ,2 leaves and 6 windsor chairs from a friend cleaning out a foreclosure home. Gotta love FREE. Now im sanding off the badly applied glossy black paint the PO used. It has the look of butcher block but im fairly cretain that its some rubberwood type thing as its made in malaysia.( Do they make Maple products there?) Would it be easier and more durable to use a dark penetrating oil and wax to finish? or gel stain and poly? What finish would be be more resistant to water rings? I do have small children.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help deciding on penetrating oil or satin for table top.

probably a gel stain and poly. Wax is not really a protective finish.

o
RE: Need help deciding on penetrating oil or satin for table top.

I did two tables recently, one with Behlen Rockhard Table Top Finish and one with Minwax polyurethane. The Rockhard took a while to dry thoroughly but it's so tough now it makes the Minwax seem delicate by comparison. The Rockhard is a phenolic (think Bakelite).

For the chairs--and possibly the table skirt and legs--consider a polyurethane-based gel topcoat (e.g., from General Finishes). Doesn't run. Tough enough for these surfaces and much, much easier to control on vertical surfaces than brushing varnish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here