Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old 7' Mahogany crown molding is warped

Posted by pieinsky (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 20:54

I was given about 550 feet of 7" mahogany crown molding. The "Giver" knew I was remodeling my old 1910 home that has 9 1/2 foot ceiling and guessed this molding would look great. And he's right, except the stuff has a lot of bows in it. Not twisted, just bowed in places. It's fairly old (probably 30-40 yrs) and has never been used-- just stored in a barn.
My question is, can I pull the bows out of this stuff as I install it? I've installed a lot of regular crown for myself and friends and regular crown doesn't scare me. But this stuff is as hard as a 2 X 4 stud and has about that much give to it.
My walls and ceilings in the house are 1/2" drywall over solid 1" X 8" tongue and groove boards. So anywhere I drive a nail or screw you hit at least 1" wood. Could I pre drill this molding and draw it to the wall with wood screws and then putty the holes. The molding will be painted. Or should I beg my friend to take it back and store it in his barn? I can see this molding being beautiful once I got it up but I could see it taking me a month to do one small room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old 7' Mahogany crown molding is warped

Depending on how bowed it is it very well may pull flat.

If it is nice stuff it might even be worth using trim head screws to fasten it in place and pull it harder than nails can.
Plugs can be used to hide screw heads, or even matching putty (the same stuff used on floors).

o
RE: Old 7' Mahogany crown molding is warped

Thanks Brickeyee--I'll give that a try this weekend. It is nice material and I hate to see it go to waste which will happen if I take it back to the barn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here