Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which drawer glides to use?

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 20:08

We're doing a kitchen remodel in a small 1920 house we're buying and due to our low budget, I'm planning to keep the existing cabinets on one side and add a line of cabinets to the opposite wall, making it a galley kitchen. I'll replace the doors and drawer fronts on the existing, and paint everything out so it matches.

I will make the boxes, buy the doors/drawer fronts.

Just for reference, here are a couple shots of the existing cabinets.
 photo 101_2254_zps58450d9e.jpg
 photo 101_2250_zpsd5a8b65f.jpg

My questions lie around constructing the drawer bases. The wall will have:
36" 3-drawer base
dishwasher
36" sink base
18" trash pullout
24" 3-drawer base
24" 3-drawer base

In researching different construction methods, I'm undecided as to whether to do individual carcases or built-in-place, with sharing adjoining walls. But they'll all be plywood sides, poplar face framed, and full overlay shaker doors/drawer fronts.

On the drawers, I think I'll go with 1/2" plywood sides, biscuit joined to front & back, with 1/4" plywood bottoms. Looking at our current kitchen drawers, I think I'll need to add some center support to the bottom of the 36" drawers.

So now it finally comes to my question: what kind of drawer glides to use? Side vs. underneath? ball bearing vs. euro ball bearing? The hardware-selling sites don't have much in the way of "help me choose" info, and I'm a drawer glide newbie. I don't want/need soft close or self-close. Not concerned about them lasting for 100 years. But I'd like something that will hold the load, not fall apart, and work well in this modest house.

Any recommendations on the rest of the construction methods are welcome as well. I've got decent DIY skills, but haven't done kitchen cabinets before, so I'm very open to input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which drawer glides to use?

I've had good luck with Accuride slides.

Understand with all slides, tolerances are pretty tight. Maybe +/- 1/16 between the drawer box and cabinet.

o
RE: Which drawer glides to use?

Sorry, not much help with slides. Something that allows some adjustment will probably be very helpful in old work.

For your plywood boxes a joint like the one in the picture is stronger (and faster and easier) than bisquits. (I use bisquits all the time, just not in this application). I might cut the dado about one ply thinner than this guy did (and get the fit a bit tighter as well) :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here