Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attaching things (eg coat hooks) to MDF trim

Posted by piegirltoo (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 20:01

Okay, so my mudroom has wainscot all around topped with a flat trim board that is about 6 inches tall, 1/2 inch thick that is MDF.

My builder said that he would install the many coat hooks I have onto this trim board for me as it could be tricky. (???)

Of course he never did it, so I think I'll just get out a drill and do it. Can anyone recommend a certain bit and/or a certain type of screw? Is this stuff going to just crumble? Perhaps I should go all the way through the sheetrock? I really want these hooks to be secure...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attaching things (eg coat hooks) to MDF trim

1/2" thick MDF will not hold any size hook securely, IMHO.

A better solution is to install a wood strip above the MDF, attaching it to the studs in the wall, then install the hooks.

o
RE: attaching things (eg coat hooks) to MDF trim

Rats. Maybe we'll replace the MDF altogether. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here