Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megrosesews

Is this a molding thing?

megrosesews
15 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a woodworking question or not. This seems like the closest group. Please let me know if I should be asking elsewhere.

I think I've seen this idea in museums and magazines but now can't find any pictures. I searched on variations of "molding" on the web. Lots of things about making your own picture frames, of course.

We have two large photographs that are really special to us. They hang in our living room. I am planning to repaint the room and am thinking about setting off these (framed) photos in larger also framed areas. The larger framed areas would be molding fixed to the wall (so if I take the picture down that larger frame is still there until I decide to repaint/redesign some day;-)). Then I might use the same type of molding in other parts of the room, for example on the edges of the bookcases and maybe some kind of high ledges above doors or places where it looks right.

I'm hoping the use of an attractively finished molding, in addition to cream paint with dark accents, will give the room a vagulely Italianate look without needing to a)Add a large, high painted ceiling OR b)purchase busts of Greek gods.

Frankly what I really want is something like the Palace Hotel in San Francisco but it is just a tad over my budget. So I'm just thinking theme!

Yes. I know I also need to think about lighting. I am. It's just on the bigger deal/more costly/save for later list.

QUESTION 1 Does this outer frame molding thing sound like a standard wall decoration technique? Does it have a name?

QUESTION 2 If so, do you just cut and miter the molding appropriately, then nail the molding to the walls or is there something else that you do to make it look right? (I found an article on how to make a frame for an odd-sized picture that details making a frame)

BTW I'm planning to reframe the photos so they have narrow, plain dark wood frames. The molding I use for the wall-frame things could then be a little more decorative, if that seems to look right. I've seen a lot of fun-looking molding that has the vaguely Italianate style I like at this moment in time. I know enough to know that I should just buy and prep a small amount once the wall is painted and pictures reframed, so that I can see what looks right.

I'm thinking about painting the living room in a cream color and making accents in dark brown with some gilt bits. We have a few old gilt picture frames and a gilt mirror. We also have an old gilt edged small table (does that count as ormolu?) that is a black wood, so I'm thinking about making thin edges of black paint on brown paint or vice versa to make the eye comfortable with both black and brown. Because we have both black and brown in the room I'm trying to avoid a lot of other colors though I'm thinking about a very small amount of pale, pale green in swags over the window shutters and in cushions. Our furniture is brown leather and old dark brown wood, except for the small black table. I'm trying to make both the black and brown work together.

Any ideas?

thanks

MegRose

Comment (1)