Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ash cabinet repair

Posted by stash-hdy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 19:45

I have ash kitchen cabinets that I need to repair. Installed a microwave and there a gap at the top of the microwave. Its hard to fine ash so can I use oak instead? The finish is a dark stain which I will have to play with to get a match. Will the grain pattern be close enough so it won't be noticeable? The strip I will add will show about 1 inch across the top of the microwave frame.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ash cabinet repair

If you pick carefully, a small strip like this will probably be close enough. Be aware that ash and oak can take the same stain very differently, so run a lot of trials until you get a good match.

o

If you could use white oak, that might be more easily stained to match the ash. Red oak is darker to start.

o

The other thing you might try is to find a woodworker who will cut some trim for you from ash.

o

Ash is actually rather easy to find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ash lumber

o

Well, maybe. Within a half-day's drive of Detroit, ash is being infected with emerald ash borer. Quarantined counties prohibit transportation of logs or firewood across county lines. The big mill I know in Indiana quit processing ash a couple of years ago. I'm sure I could still find some today, but it's getting less common in this area (Ohio River Valley)

o

I just bought some ash, born and grown in KC Mo., from a local sawyer. No emerald ash borer problems here .

Yet.

o

Kiln drying eliminates the ash borer, so the only real issue is moving the wood from cutting to processing.

My local hardwood dealer still has plenty of ash available, as to any number of the mail order places.

o

Hi,
I have ash cabinets & stumbled on this while researching something.
You can find ash lumber on Ebay if you can't find it at local woodworking supply shops.
I ended up using Ebay to get my new peices because it was cheaper then the local places. However, that's probably not the case everywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here