Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorblind1961

Tongue & Groove Ceiling Paneling???

colorblind1961
15 years ago

We have a family room with vaulted ceilings - one of which houses 2 skylights and is on a diagonal. We would like to install Tongue & Groove panels on that one section of ceiling. Has anyone ever done this before? Can we do it ourselves??? We are pretty big "do-it-your-selfers", but know when to hire a contractor if we're out of our league.

Comments (6)

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

I've not done this, but a friend of mind put it up on his "farm house" porch. Said it was just like flooring, except upside down.

• theporchguy
    15 years ago

Its really not that difficult to install. I like to use hemfir type (No knots) type. Additionally I pre finish them before I install them.

Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

We just put one in DIY. Our new sunroom is 15x20 with vaulted ceilings but no skylights. We primed both sides before installing, and painted them cream once up (I would have painted them pre-install, but Mr. Weedy was worried that the paint buildup on the tongue would make them too thick to go into the groove).

We used 5" pine, and had to sort through board by board at the store to get minimal knots and straight boards. Straight boards make a HUGE difference in ease of install.

The difference between a ceiling and a floor is that it's not as easy to pry a ceiling when your boards aren't perfectly straight. We rigged up a strap to winch them together when needed.

Here's the (nearly) finished product:

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Weedy - your ceiling looks great! Did it take you more than a day? Also, I love the color on the walls in your sunroom - what paint color is it???

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

It's worth noting here that solid wood expands and contracts with changes in humidity. Boards will be at their narrowest during the winter, because central heating causes indoor relative humidity levels to drop significantly (unless you have a whole-house humidifier keeping the air moist). Pulling the boards so tightly together during a wintertime install means there's no room for those boards to expand as RH climbs (unless you faithfully use central AC to keep it down)in the summertime. There are a lot of variables in play here, but I'd be concerned that Weedy's super-tight installation might develop some problems around July or August.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

The install (cut/nail) took 2 of us about 10 hours total (20 man hours), but was done over the course of a couple weeks. The paint is Sherwin Williams "Nomadic Desert."

Jon's point is good, and only summer will tell whether our boards will expand and cup, but we've got slivers of tongue showing in enough places that I think we'll be ok. Plus we've got 1/2" expansion joint on the (bottom) ends.