Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me get from A to B!

Posted by yhzinpdx (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 17:57

We just bought our first home and are hoping to paint some of the original wood white and darken the remainder. Any ideas on the best way to get from A to B? We have no experience whatsoever, so no detail or recommendation is too basic:)

This is the way it currently looks:

wood

This is the color we're looking for:

darkwood2

darkwood1

Also, is it sacrilege to want to remove that wood trim part way up the wall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me get from A to B!

Get new doors and stain/finish like you want.

Will be much faster and ultimately less trouble/expense.

o

Thanks handymac, is that because stripping is so much work or because we're unlikely to be able to get the colors right? Is there a way to refinish the wood to get it to look more like dark walnut and less orangey?

o

Stain or dye will not work on finished wood. Getting the finish off the wood trim/doors in your photo's would need to be done by professional strippers or take many hours of DIY stripping/scraping.

It is relatively easy to apply a shellac based primer(Zinsser's BIN is the one I usually use for interior priming) and then paint that trim.

o

Thanks for the great advice. I think we'll have some professional strippers do the bits we want to keep wood and paint the rest white.

o

There is a lot of discussion on the old house forum about stripping woodwork - troll around there for old threads. My own old house has woodwork with about 8 layers of paint on it, and it has been (still is) an ongoing trudge to strip it all. Yours looks like a piece of cake to me in comparison.

True that you can't stain over the varnish that's on there, but you can certainly paint over it - for the dark finish, with a darker clear coat, assuming you can get such a thing. And painting white over top would obviously be fine - just that you might need to get an alkyd/oil based paint or varnish as a latex/water based product might not stick well.

KarinL

o

There is a lot of discussion on the old house forum about stripping woodwork - troll around there for old threads. My own old house has woodwork with about 8 layers of paint on it, and it has been (still is) an ongoing trudge to strip it all. Yours looks like a piece of cake to me in comparison.

True that you can't stain over the varnish that's on there, but you can certainly paint over it - for the dark finish, with a darker clear coat, assuming you can get such a thing. And painting white over top would obviously be fine - just that you might need to get an alkyd/oil based paint or varnish as a latex/water based product might not stick well.

KarinL

o

Thanks karinl, I'll check out the old house forum and am glad to hear it looks like a piece of cake!

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here