Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Convert a Kitchen Wall Cabinet to a Base Cabinet

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 17:36

I want to install a small 30" long cabinet in my pantry. I have a 1-1/2" base built but am not sure what would be the best way to attach it to the cabinet. I also have a formica countertop to install on top and could use some helpful info on the best way to do so. Any info or websites that would be helpful in completing this project would be appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Convert a Kitchen Wall Cabinet to a Base Cabinet

Assuming you are butting the back of the cabinet to a wall, you can use silicone caulk as a strong adhesive to secure atop the base, and to secure the c-top to the cabinet. The screws used to secure the cabinet box to the wall will hold the entire assembly from moving. Some installers use screws to attatch cabs to base platforms & c-tops to hold in place til adhesive cures, we don't.

o

When you say "base" I think you mean a toekick or riser so the cabinet sits off the floor, no?
If you made this from 2x stock, and have shimmed it level off the floor in both directions, and can secure the cabinet itself to at least 2 studs, there's really no reason to worry about fastening them together beyond a few finish nails. If you had a couple of 2 1/2" screws, you could screw through the floor of the cabinet and catch the base. If you were wrapping the base with molding, you could lip it slightly onto the cabinet trapping it.
Casey

o

Thank you both for your responses. The silicone caulk is a great idea and will use. Yes, I was referring to a toe kick. I do have a 2x4 which I will try. Are there any tips to shimming it level because I tried that once before and was not to successful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here