Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wax or poly stairs - please help us decide

Posted by brnstn (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 17:35

We're doing a pretty complete restoration and are waxing our floors. We're trying to decide what to do with our stairs. The first flight is mahogany and the upper flights are pine.

Will wax be too slippery on the stairs?

Is poly less slippery?

We will put runners on them eventually but it may take some months and we've got small children.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wax or poly stairs - please help us decide

I would have to say wax is too soft and not durable enough for stairs. Polyurethane is a very simple to apply and very durable built up finish. I recently built a set of oak stairs and finished them with a first coat of 1 part linseed oil 1 part polyurethane and followed that (after considerable time allowed for curing of the first coat)with two more coats of strait polyurethane.
Disclaimer: when I say polyurethane I mean the stuff in the minwax can called polyurethane which is actually almost all varnish but with a polyurethane resin added to improve durability.

Cheers,
Werner J Stiegler

o

Wax provides almost no protection and prevents adhesion of any other finish. And it IS slippery. I don't know why it would even be considered. Poly is tried and true long-term protection (years) on floors.

o

No way would I ever use wax as a finish for any floor or stair. Ever. (Unless you are a masochist!) Either use tung oil or poly. Tung is spot repairable. Poly is not but is tougher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here