Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redwood for base and window molding????

Posted by rychnc (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 17:02

Hi,

I am building new home and instead of the traditional pine or oak molding we were thinking of using redwood. We used redwood for exposed roof rafters for our porch and we love the rustic red and yellow colors. Surprisingly, redwood over the Internet plus shipping is cheaper than what my local suppliers charge for red oak. The only problem I see is redwood is very soft and untreated will easily show scratches. We prefer not to use a stain that will change the color of the natural red and gold tones. Here are my questions:

Does anyone use redwood for base and window molding? If so, what natural stain/lacure/vanish treatment do you suggest to help protect the wood and reduce dents and scratches? If not, what additional issues do you see using redwood?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redwood for base and window molding????

I used redwood for window trim in my shop, because I had some sitting around. It's nice. I wouldn't use it for base, where it would have to contend with brooms or vacuum cleaners; there's not much you can do to protect it.

o

Thanks for the response. Are you saying it would be a BIG mistake to use redwood for base molding? People use pine all the time.

o

Redwood is considerably softer than pine. I don't know that it would be a BIG mistake, but it would be delicate. I've seen whole rooms paneled in redwood, and I like it; just don't expect it to take a lot of abuse. If you have big, open rooms and don't tend to bang into stuff, you'd probably be fine.

o

The company who is selling me the redwood suggested applying polyurethane and using shoe molding for extra protection. I was considering using red oak with a clear lacure for the base molding and redwood 1x6 S4S for window and door trim. The redwood cost $1.7/lf and the oak $2.05/lf. I also have pine windows and dark maple hardwood floors. I prefer NOT to overly stain the wood - I would rather have the natural colors come out even though I have a variety of wood spieces. Suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here