Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best material to use for seats over bathtub

Posted by elinpedersen (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:01

I want to create 4 cover boards to place on top of my bathtub to allow it to double as a seat/daybed/exercise table. It is inspired by Duravit tub covers which cost a fortune (just under $2000 for 4 covers needed for a 66" tub), see http://www.duravit.com/website/homepage/products/product_overview/series/happy_d.us-en.html/p-583860/c-tubs/sp-1. The weight of a single Duravit covers is about 7lbs.

Low weight, strength over a span of ~25", and some dampness tolerance are the essential qualities. I am thinking of using 1/2 - 3/4" plywood inside a leather cover with padding. But I am unsure about the strength. Another idea was 3/4" trupan.

Is there anyone on this forum who can help me design for low weight, strength over a span of ~25", and some dampness tolerance? Help is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best material to use for seats over bathtub

I wood use teak wood

o
RE: best material to use for seats over bathtub

25 inches ... almost anything. As a bathtub cover it shouldn't be subjected to dampness. Unlike a hot tub, you aren't keeping water under the cover.

3/4 plywood, treated with a waterproofing agent, should work well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here