Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Formica top pedestal table how to repair?

Posted by itltrot (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 16:08

I have a pedestal table from my Great Aunt that has a formica top and leaf. From what I can guess is the wood underneath the formica appears to be pressed wood. At some point there has been moisture that has ran along the middle of the table and has bubbled/warped the top.

I'd like to fix it but unsure what can or needs to be done. Ideally I'd like it to be real wood top and stain it a darker color to go with my kitchen cabinets. Is this possible? Is it affordable? Or should I just look into having new formica put on it? I'm not super fond of the faux wood look.

This is the best picture I have of the table at the moment. Not at all helpful I'm sure. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I will post some of the damage and the table construction when I get home tonight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Formica top pedestal table how to repair?

If the substrate is swelled due to moisture, the top is toast.

You can get a new top made from laminate, plywood, veneer, or solid woods. Affordable is all relative and dependent upon your choices and requirements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here