Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rebuilding Ash cabinet doors

Posted by pbrisjar (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 15:59

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. As part of that, we stripped off two layers of really dark stain from the cabinets. The problem is that the doors are made of a solid ash frame with layers of really thin ash plywood front and back (hollow core construction). Because Hubby had to sand so much to get the stain off, there are now bare spots in the plywood area that just look bad. So, we need to rebuild the doors (don't have the budget for new ones).

The simplest option would be to chisel off the fronts, get new ash plywood and glue it back on. I'd rather not do this for multiple reasons.

What we're trying to come up with is a way to "build up" the center to create a door that we'll both like. What we're thinking is to do this:

strip off the front plywood (it's just glued on)
sand and rout the frame
insert regular plywood to build up the center
insert 1/4 or 1/8" ash plywood on top of the regular plywood
brad nails (?) to hold the panels in
find a thinnish trim piece to place inside the ash frame

We do have a couple of sacrificial doors to play with.

Is this doable?
Any other options?
Good source for ash?

You can kind of see the current construction here:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rebuilding Ash cabinet doors

The photo doesn't really make the construction of the existing doors clear at all. It doesn't look like it's hollow core, it looks like a piece of plywood with a molding tacked around the outside.

I may not be understanding your proposed course of action correctly, but it doesn't sound very workable. Even if these doors are hollow-core, you shouldn't use the term "just" before "glued on." Glue can make things very difficult to disassemble. The process of cutting new plywood to fit tightly inside existing frames would also be harder than you imagine. I suspect that once you started down this road, you'd quickly regret it.

If you don't want to buy new doors, paint and an applied molding might help you achieve a look you can live with.

o

Thanks for the cautions.

We dissected one of these doors the other night. It's definitely hollow core - solid ash frame sandwiched between two pieces of plywood with some cardboard in the middle. We actually took it in to a local store and the guy there identified it as a hollow core door. I can get a pic of the dissected door when I get home.

I was able to take off about half of the plywood in a matter of about 15 minutes with just a flathead screwdriver (to start) and a chisel. So I'm not concerned about that part at all.

Our thinking is that with an inner trim piece, the plywood won't have to fit exactly perfectly.

Painting is not an option, nor is buying new doors.

o

Here's some pics of the dissected door:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here