Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klavier_gw

What kind of wood is this?

klavier
14 years ago

Hello,

I am stripping an old table (~90yrs old). I got it from a lady who claimed it was white oak, but the coloration and the grain imply otherwise.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

I am trying for a light sort of antique finish. I was thinking a wood conditioner followed by golden oak gel stain, and then oil-based polyurethane. There are some areas I would like to fill but I do not know how to approach this.

Thanks,

Werner J Stiegler

Comments (6)

• User
    14 years ago

I can't see any grain properties in those pictures.

From just the color, some looks like poplar. If it was painted, I'd say definitely poplar.

Cannot advise on gel stains. Just a modified paint, as far as I am concerned.

It is going to be problematic to get an even color with all the different wood colors in that table.

• gzec
    14 years ago

I second poplar. Its a paint grade wood.

• lamguy
    14 years ago

Poplar

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

I would be surprised if it was anything but poplar. The grain pattern and oatmeal, green, and gray colors are all typical of poplar. while it is often painted, it is also often stained to "resemble" more expensive woods such as cherry and walnut. In this respect, it is often used as a secondary wood such as mostly hidden frame members or feet.

While you can successfully color it, it is quite prone to blotching with consumer grade stains like Minwax.

Poplar is dead cheap wood. I suggest getting a piece of it, sanding it to the same grit as you have done the table and test out your stain and finish before committing products to your table.

• karinl
    14 years ago

I could be talked into poplar based just on the green colour, but I'd have to know for sure that the green doesn't age to brown when it's painted, because it does when exposed to light. It is interesting that half looks brown, half green. Could the green come from anything you used to do the stripping?

I wouldn't sneer at it even if it is poplar. We used poplar door mouldings in our kitchen some 16 years ago and haven't decided on a paint or finish yet (it's a work in progress!) and I have to say they look pretty good. The wood has nice character, nice warm honey colour with darker brown shadings (light parts are almost identical to adjacent fir and pine), tight grain, good stability, pleasing grain pattern including its variations; really, it's easy on the eyes. Just because it's commonly painted doesn't make it bad. If it doesn't take your stain well, there might be a good result from just clear-coating it or varnishing - if you don't like the green you could let it age to brown first (if you're not in a rush :-)).

KarinL

• klavier
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Half of it is brown because I had only completed stripping half of it.