Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to refinish a built-up surface?

Posted by deedee-2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 15:37

I inherited a beautiful trestle table that I believe was purchased in the 1930s-1940s from the Hale Furniture Company. It is in perfect shape, but the finish on the top surface of the table is thick and soft, where I can actually scratch it with my fingernail. Also, my grandmother had it covered with a vinyl tablecloth that had the cotton backing on it, resulting in tiny wisps of cotton sticking to the finish. What shall I remove all this "stuff" with? I plan on using it in our kitchen. It's a very priceless piece to me, sentimentally. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to refinish a built-up surface?

Is the finish intact? If so, it may be just a buildup of wax. Try washing it down with mineral spirits, then rub straight with the grain with 4/0 steel wool followed by Guardsman polish. If this doesn't quite do it, but the finish is still intact, you can try hand rubbing it as they did at the factory.

Wet the table top with mineral oil, Sand with 400 grit wet or dry paper on a rubber sanding block, be careful not to sand through on the edges. Wipe off the residue and repeat the operation with 500 grit wet or dry paper. Rub with 4/0 steel wool after cleaning off the sanding residue.
Polish with Guardsman polish.

If the finish is not intact, you need to refinish it.

o

Agree with Furnone. There is no saving a finish that has degraded to goo.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/savingfinish.htm

o

Thanks to both of you. I will try your suggestions. It's very difficult to actually see if the finish is intact at this point due to the thick gooey build up on top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here