Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjccmc

Adding stain to clear coat OK?

cjccmc
17 years ago

I'm finishing the quarter round molding between our kitchen cabinets and the new wood floor.

I stained it yesterday but the coloring is somewhat uneven and a little too light. I used Mini Wax stain and also have their clear coat stuff (poly...?). I'm thinking of adding some stain to the clear coat hoping that it will provide a more even coloring. There are areas of blotchiness where glue spilled and dark spots where the nail hole filler soaked up the stain.

Will this help provide a more uniform coloring? Any particular method to it? I'm guessing that I would only color the first coat of finish, then sand it and apply a second clear coat without the stain?

I'm not looking for "stunning" results, just a pleasing appearance without a lot of extra work.

Comments (6)

• russmahogany
    17 years ago

Try using a spray toner. You might have to take out whatever you filled the nail holes with after you use the toner and refill with some color sticks. Stand back and use a light mist. You can always spray on more. Let us know how it works for you. Follow directions on can.

• kmealy
    17 years ago

Russ is right, what you are describing is technically a toner, a finish with color in it. However, toners almost always have to be sprayed on LIGHTLY to get an even color.

Your approach sounds like disaster.

At this point, I'd do one of the following:
    * Sand back the glue splotches and re-stain the entire piece. There is no rule that says you can't stain more than once.

* Move to a gel stain that you can manipulate a little more. This will allow you to cover the light areas. If you have already put a coat of finish on, this is called a glaze. Then top coat. General finishes makes a good gel stain.

Without knowing what color "Minwax" stain you have applied it's hard to say, but the fact that areas are uneven probably says it has some pigment in it and is unevenly absorbed by the variations in the grain. Some woods are notorious for this, notably poplar and pine, likely woods for your shoe molding.

You have also found out another fact of life. Stainable fillers do take stain, they just never look like the surrounding wood. Use wax filler sticks once you are farther down the finishing regimen.

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

I much prefer aniline dye than any of the pigment type stains.
    It is a lot easier to get an even coat on typical trim hardwoods like oak.
    I usually do all the quarter round finishing before I cut a single piece.
    Working on saw horses is a lot easier than crawling around.

• User
    17 years ago

Stain and finish together is a compromise at best. I agree with the sand and reapply stain advice.

Working with wood is a three step process---selection, machining/assembly, and finishing. I know of hundreds of woodworkers---including myself---- who can do the first two well but fall flat on the finishing. Finishing a project can easily take more time than making it.

If you are using the old trim, you are making the job more difficult---it will be catually faster with new wood. If the trim is new, resand, then use a wood conditioner---that minimizes the blotchiness---then stain and then finish.

The other problem with mixing stain and finish is the difference in the basic makeup----most over the counter stains sold in home improvement stores are oil based while the poly finishes are water based---those two will NOT mix.

• kmealy
    17 years ago

cjccmc,

You have several alternatives here. None of them include Polyshades or WoodSheen. These are not silver bullets in a can. A friend of mine who is an expert finisher calls Polyshades the worst thing that ever happened to a can.

The fact that you made some errors in your first application is making things harder to correct.

Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.