Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chisel bit sets

Posted by woodchuck1800 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 15:11

I'm not sure if i am in the right place or not, but here is my guestion. does any one out there know where i might be able to buy a chisel and bit set for a central machinery mortising machine . Yes i know but i got it at a garage sale for 20.00 bucks. all the ones that i have found have a 5/8 chisel shank mine is 3/4 and the bit lenth is 8 inches. went to harbor frieght first they don't seem to know anything. glad i didn't spend to much for it. any help would be much appreciated thank you
Vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chisel bit sets

Central Machinery is the brand name for Harbor Freight Tools---who sell Chinese made knock off design tools. Some of their tools are simply exact copies of name brand models in a different color---even parts interchange. The tools/parts are made as cheaply as possible, however, and Customer Service is simply replacement under warranty.

You might look in a HF catalog. Otherwise, it will be luck.

o

Hi,
Maybe a 1/8" bushing is called for the install the 5/8" bits in the 3/4" collet. That's the way the grizzly mortiser works for the different sizes of chisels in the range from 1/4 to 5/8 diameter.
Casey

o

First let me say that the mortising chisel and bit set must be matched. The gap between the chisel and bit must be such that the chips created do not get hung up between them. The density of the wood also plays a part as well but I do not know the details on that.

Now the 3/4 shank on the mortising chisel is a common size but there are others. Buying a chisel and bit set is like buying a replacement drill bit, the make of the machine has no bearing on it. They are listed for sale at most places by size and depth of the mortise you want to make. The other dimensional details are all variable and up to you.

Woodcraft Supply has many sizes for sale. I have included a URL link.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8313&mode=details#tabs

Also if you are unfamiliar with setting it up this link has a good article.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodcraft Supply

o

3/4" shank mortise sets...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8313

Here is a link that might be useful: woodcraft mortise sets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here