Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creating a 'Faux Wood Truss'

Posted by bobby1973 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 14:50

Hi folks - I'm hoping to get some feedback on this project that I would like to pursue. I've always loved the look of wood beams and wood trusses inside a home. I just moved into a newly constructed home and it has a farmhouse/industrial theme to it. Our 'morning room' has a cathedral ceiling and I would really like to accentuate that feature by adding two wood trusses. But since they'll be purely decorative, it's not practical to use solid pieces of wood. So my plan is to simply use 1" x 4" pine planking to create a three-sided box, essentially a "U" shaped structure by gluing and nailing the boards together (as shown in the attached photo). Then I'll attach hidden 2” x 4” nailers directly into the ceiling rafters and I can simply slip the “U”-shaped beams over the nailers, and nail them through the sides using a finish nailer. Now that takes care of the segments of the truss that are attached directly to the ceiling. But what about the horizontal beam that would span the width of the room? (equivalent to the horizontal in the letter 'A'). I would probably need to use a solid piece of wood for that and just make sure that both ends get mounted into wall studs. Each horizontal beam would need to be 16' in length, so I would use two 8' beams (probably 4x4"). But 16' is a lot of length to only be supported at the ends, without any center support. I would greatly appreciate suggestions that anyone could kindly share with me. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creating a 'Faux Wood Truss'

I would use plywood in a similar fasion as you did the 1x boxes and support it at the center with a V which would complete the timber truss look. Where members meet, cut squares from 1/4tr inch hardboard and use pegs or screw hole covers to appear as steel joining plates and spikes.

o
RE: Creating a 'Faux Wood Truss'

I'm not sure why the fact that they are decorative rather than structural precludes the use of solid wood. The box construction you describe is fine for something decorative, but if it's meant to mimic a structural element then it ought to look the part.

Maybe it's because I have some idea of what I'm looking at, but things like trusses and beams that look like they ought to be structural, but clearly aren't built correctly or aren't appropriately supported *really* bother me. (eg big nonstructural trusses anchored to the ceiling with nothing holding their ends up). A 16 ft truss is easily doable in solid wood. Depending where you are a local mill can probably provide you with the beams for a price not that much different than dimension lumber and they will look 1000% better. Search Google images for "timberframe truss" for many examples ranging from very simple to wonderfully complex.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here