Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's like Acrylacq but widely available?

Posted by andalee (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 14:23

I'm dizzy from all of the descriptions of various clear finishes for wood, and their various pro's & con's. Does anyone know of something as safe as (or nearly so) Acrylacq, but widely available? We're finishing pine T&G for the ceiling before putting it up, and I just can't bear to google anymore . . . I need an intelligent life form with experience to add a reasonable opinion. ;o)

Any thoughts?

(Cross-posted to the painting forum, because I'm desperate. :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's like Acrylacq but widely available?

Don't understand the safe part. All currently available finishes for home use are safe when dry.

Varnish, from a real paint store. Likie Sherwin Williams. B. More is more expensive. Pratt Lambert and others.

Water based is clear. Easier to apply than WB polyurethane.

o

The "when dry" is the kicker. We're DIY'ing this, and I want to use something that doesn't require ventilators or open-air application to keep me from getting headaches or feeling ill. (Sorry, I should have included that initially.)

o

Water based finishes have very low VOC's and very little smell when applying/drying. They also do not add any color(unless made to do so).

o

"Water based finishes have very low VOC's and very little smell when applying/drying. They also do not add any color(unless made to do so)."

All correct.

They also do not 'melt' into previous coats as well as nitrocellulose lacquer.

Polyurethane is the same way.
Each coat hardens without melting into the previouse coat.

If you try to run out polyurethane and cut through a coat into a coat below it, very faint lines will be visible at the boundary between coats.

Nitrocellulose lacquer and shellac melt into previous coats forming a single film instead of a stack of layers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here