Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing dried up carpenters' glue

Posted by karinl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 14:07

I have an antique cabinet that I bought several years ago with a puddle of what I'm guessing to be dried up carpenter's glue in the bottom. It's inside where it doesn't show, but I'm now wanting to sell it and I think removing the glue would facilitate that.

I always try water first, and water does v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y soften the glue to the point where it can be removed, but it's still difficult, and did I mention slow? Chipping it up with a chisel is also an option (although it chips the wood, that's better than the glue), but it's very awkward to work at the back of the bottom shelf.

Is there a better way? I have both heat gun and and and IR stripping tool, would either of these work?

Thanks for any assistance,

KarinL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing dried up carpenters' glue

Try a cabinet scraper. It won't gouge the wood like the chisel

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet scraper

o
RE: removing dried up carpenters' glue

Thanks for suggesting a better tool, Aidan, I tend to try to do everything with a flexible scraper.

In this case, my husband was so sure a heat gun would work that I finally agreed to try it - it's a tool I usually hate using. But this time it was worth it - heat softens the glue to nice workable consistency so it pulls away quite cleanly. So it's done!

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here