Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ikea Wood Table-Stain Not Taking...??

Posted by Stellabee (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:19

Good Day Everyone,

I'm having my first issue ever with staining a table; hence I'm a little perplexed.

Recently, I bought a heavy, old wood coffee table off of Craig's List. I got a super bargain on it, so I thought that I would simply sand and re-stain since it seemed to be an older Ikea table made of real wood. This is not what has happened thus far though at all.

I sanded the top first getting all of the poly and original stain layers. Then, I cleaned it as usual and began to apply a dark walnut oil based stain by MinWax and OUCHY! The wood started to soak up the stain quite a bit in some places while not at all in others. It looks almost like a zebra effect on the table. I found a comment on an article where someone stated that IKEA pine tables will often unevenly suck up stain creating an odd, uneven look like I got. I'm wondering if this is engineered wood instead of real wood??

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this with an IKEA or other inexpensive wood table? Any solutions?

Thanks & Please Do Advise,

Stella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ikea Wood Table-Stain Not Taking...??

"engineered wood" would stain evenly, if at all.

It's the PINE ... you needed to use a pre-stain sealant on it to minimize the grabbing. But it's a bit late for that uhnless you sand it again and start over.

How does paint sound?

Next time, sand and test an area on the bottom of the piece to see how it takes stain before you start on the visible parts.

o

Hi Lazygardens, thank you! I was wondering if I needed to use a pre-stain sealant. I've never had to use one before, so I'm not familiar with them or that step in the rehabbing process. I'm going to sand it again and use a pre-stain sealant.

Thanks for responding so quickly-appreciate it.

o

This is exactly why I've said again and again here that sanding is not a good way to strip finish. Why?
- It takes a long time
- It produces uneven results (the finish may be left in some areas and not in others)
- It risks sanding through thin veneers.

Minwax stains need raw wood to work properly. In addition, due to most of them having pigment in them, they are highly prone to blotching (uneven staining) in some species of wood.

Better to start over with a chemical stripper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here