Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will someone tell me....

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 08 at 13:10

I believe I know what I am saying, but...
My daughter and her husband are looking to re finish their oak kitchen cupboards in preparation to selling the house.
They have sanded off all the very thin coat of builder's tinted laquer and are considering slapping on a coat of that stain and polyurethane stuff.
I told her that if things are such that they can't sell as soon as they hope, that it will be worth their time to stain with a wiping stain and then put on a coat or polyurethane.
My thoughts are that if they could do 3 coats of the poly stain, that would be fine....but they are looking to do it quickly to sell.
What say you?
Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will someone tell me....

Any one step finish is a compromise---craftsmen and craftswomen have been finishing wood products for hundreds of years and have yet to discover a decent one step process.

Stains color wood while finishes protect. A one strp product cannot do a good job of either.

They will be much further ahead by simply applying a finish---and I recommend varnish instead of poly. Varnish is faster, easier, and can be repaired(spots/runs/etc.) when poly products cannot.

o

The only thing expert finishers hate to hear more than, "Slap on some poly," is "Slap on some Polyshades."

Blyeeech.

First mistake was probably starting with sanding.

Ugly cabinets can not only be costly to repair or replace, but can be a big turn off to a potential buyer.

o

A challenge here...
For selling reasons, why do it at all??!?!?!

You're potentially making more work for a buyer if they don't like it!
Since you've already sanded, a good brushing-Lacquer is the fastest way. Each coat lightly dissolves into the previous coat. Not as durable as Poly, but faster between coats.

Faron

o

Because the Realator recommended they spruce up the finish!..And they asked someone else what they did....
Anyhow it's done. Not the way I would have done it, but they they didn't wait for my recommendations!
Linda C

o

In this market, fast sale is not likely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here