Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Do I want this sander? Your thoughts pls

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

I just need something to smooth out my 100yr old fir floors prior to putting on a new finish - does not require a drum sander. After considering some rental options, I thought - hey, for the same price I could just BUY a new sander. So I read about the Bosch 1250DEVS on Amazon, and it sounds great.. But first could you tell me -is this something I can operate on the floor, on my hands and knees. Looks like it requires two hands unlike my old 5 inch palm sander, and in the turbo mode IâÂÂd want to have good control so it doesnâÂÂt jump around. If it kills my back, thatâÂÂs OK- itâÂÂs only about 400 square feet and I can take my time since it's my house. I just want to be sure it can be done and what other thoughts yâÂÂall might have about this particular sander.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1250DEVS-6-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B0001408SO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would love to have this for other projects as I like to find old wood furniture and vintage wood trim and stuff in the trash to refinish and re-purpose. However, my main purpose right at the moment is to do the sanding on my floor. TIA for any and all responses.

Comments (11)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

It's a hand-held sander. Do you really want to sand your floors on your hands and knees?

It can be done - however, I would recommend an 1/3 sheet oscillating sander (square pads) instead because you can guide them better along the grain and they don't leave the round swirly marks.

Yes, it takes 2 hands, one on the handle and the other on the nose, but you can balance on knees and shins ... I've done it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I just need something to smooth out my 100yr old fir floors prior to putting on a new finish - does not require a drum sander."

Rent a large rotary sander like the type used for screening between finish coats.

It looks like a huge floor polisher, often around 24 inches in diameter with a 240 V motor.
    Use the right grade of sandpaper (or even non-woven abrasive pad).

• User
    11 years ago

U-Sand. You can rent one. Zero learning curve(the big buffer type has a learning/control curve).

Has excellent dust collection as well. Well, maybe never mind. I used two different machines several years ago with the included bags with zero problems. Now I see they recommend using a separate collection system. The rental place should have solutions.

Here is a link that might be useful: U-sand

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input- no I dont REALLY want to be on my hands and knees but the reward is I get a nifty new sander to use on other projects. On the other hand - there's something to be said for just getting the job DONE.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lazy, Im not sure what you are referring to re: square oscillating sander, could you suggest a specific model? I thought oscillating same as random orbital?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

If you are going to kneel, get knee pads.

You are going to need them.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Kaska - The sander you showed had a round pad. The ones with square pads are easier to use, and the paper is cheaper.

http://toolsandmore.us/blackanddecker7558sheetsander.aspx?gclid=CNnGq-L0kLYCFYKDQgodMgoAlg

==========
    http://www.u-sand.com/u-sand/orbital-sander.aspx

This is fairly easy to use. Often can be rented from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well we found some areas where the previous sander had gone thru the tongue and groove and while most of it looks ok its still down about 3/16-1/4 inch in a lot of places (they'd left the quarter round on so we could tell.) So that pretty much seals the deal - do a light sanding for now with the hand sander and be on the lookout for vintage maple to replace it with somewhere down the line For some reason while the upstairs is fir, downstairs is beautiful birdseye maple in good shape - & a much larger space so we'll get the u-sand for that.

Yep knee pads it is - been meaning to get some for gardening anyway. I keep telling myself that 400 sq ft. would be like 20 tabletops - it doesn't sound so bad that way!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

" For some reason while the upstairs is fir, downstairs is beautiful birdseye maple in good shape"

They put the expensive wood where the visitors would see it :)

• sacto_diane
    11 years ago

Home Despot rents a sander similar to the U-Sand model. Used one for my floors and it was easy-breezy...

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Well we found some areas where the previous sander had gone thru the tongue and groove..."

Time for a new floor.