Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edge joining plywood

Posted by gggh (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 12:43

I'm using #20 biscuits to glue-up several pieces of oak plywood edge-to-edge to form a larger panel. Upon gluing the first such panel there is a problem. The edges do not align flush on the face of the panel.

The plywood varies often in thickness, even though all pieces were cut from the same sheet. I was careful to register the joiner fence against a common face of all pieces. I thought all the pieces would align on that face due to the biscuits. That face was oriented up during clamping and gravity may have worked against me. The glue was also rather old, and probably too tacky.

There are four more of these panels. I got some fresh glue. I'm thinking I'll try clamping with the "good" face down. That will present some difficulties wiping off the glue squeeze-out.

Am I on the right track? Other suggestions for dealing with varying thickness of the plywood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edge joining plywood

Joining sheets of plywood perfectly flush is going to be nigh impossible. The veneer on most plywood is extremely thin, so you only have a few thousandths' tolerance if you hope to sand the joint smooth without sanding through one side of the veneer or the other. Biscuits are not going to help much.

The best thing you can do is make the joints look intentional instead of invisible, but it's hard to say how do that without knowing more about the context / project.

o

Use a piece of solid oak 1x2 or 1x3 between the pieces of plywood. That way every joint is plywood to solid wood. Set the biscuit joiner just a hair different for the solid wood, so there will be a little something to sand.

I am curious, how large are these glue-up panels? Never use scraps of plywood to make a larger panel that could be cut from a whole sheet. You will spend way more in terms of labor to achieve inferior results. Just go buy another sheet, it will save time and $

o

It was a last minute idea to avoid boring plywood sides on some book cases. There are relatively large center panels within a border, so it is like a frame&panel door with the frame and panels flush. It has a kind-of parquet look which I like. The construction is disappointing.

The narrower "frame" components could be solid wood. Alternately I could try a narrow shallow rabbit around the panel sections.

Thanks for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here