Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice: staining cherry tabletop

Posted by nutmeger (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 12:31

Hello,
I have stripped and begun staining a dining room tabletop that is cherry veneer. (I'll post before and current photos below) Before stripping the leaf was a very different shade of cherry. I was hoping that the top would be the same color after staining, but it is still slightly different. The leaf remains more brown than the rest of the table. Aside from going with a very dark stain, is there anything else I can do to get them to match up more? Or is that just the nature of cherry? (Or is it likely that I am the only one who will notice?) If I did stain over it with a darker stain (ie. General finishes Brown Mahogany) would the leaf match up more with the rest of the table? The difference is more noticeable in person than in the photo. I am using General Finishes Candelight gel stain - which is I am really enjoying working with.
Thanks,
-- Pauline

Before:
Photobucket

Now:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice: staining cherry tabletop

From the second picture I would just stay with what you have and not mess around with it. It looks pretty darn close. The only way I could think to make it closer would be to sand it out, blend a custom mix of dye stains (not pigment stains) to match the actual present color of the other pieces and then step up the concentration until you reach an even darkness. Glazes like gel stain are pretty much super thinned paint. By darkening it or adding more you will just conceal the wood. Use a pigment stain like minwax and you will just accentuate the grain and pores ever more. A dye stain is absorbed into the cell structure of the wood and colors the actual wood fiber itself so if you can blend a dye the color of the wood you like, you will get pretty darn close with your leaf.
nd a dye the

o

From the second picture I would just stay with what you have and not mess around with it. It looks pretty darn close. The only way I could think to make it closer would be to sand it out, blend a custom mix of dye stains (not pigment stains) to match the actual present color of the other pieces and then step up the concentration until you reach an even darkness. Glazes like gel stain are pretty much super thinned paint. By darkening it or adding more you will just conceal the wood. Use a pigment stain like minwax and you will just accentuate the grain and pores ever more. A dye stain is absorbed into the cell structure of the wood and colors the actual wood fiber itself so if you can blend a dye the color of the wood you like, you will get pretty darn close with your leaf.
nd a dye the

o

nd a dye the

o

My husband thinks I should just leave it the way it is too. Its looking pretty!

o

I suspect that the color difference could be due to the fact that cherry reddens and richens with exposure to light and that the leaf has probably been unused and mostly stored in a location with very little light. You might take it outdoors on a sunny day and expose it to some UV and see if that doesn't change the color to match better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here