Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orbital Sander Troubles

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 12:26

Hi all!
Don't laugh, but I'm having trouble keeping the sanding discs on my orbital sander.
They're not velcro, but there is a rubber-ish pad where the discs are pressed on.
They no longer stick and go flying across the room.
Is there anything I can/should not put on that pad to keep the discs in place again?
I love my orbital sander!

Oh. It's a Rigid, if that helps at all.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orbital Sander Troubles

Clean it with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner; it's gunked up with dust and old adhesive. Don't let the lacquer thinner sit on it too long, it can dissolve some plastics/vinyls.
Let it dry for a good while before attempting to stick on the abrasive, because the solvent needs to evaporate back out of the plastic.
Casey

o
Way cool.

Thank you, Casey!
I thought it might be trashed. '
I really like this tool.
C.

o

"Clean it with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner"

Or even some warm water and soap.

Lacquer thinner will eat the sponge padding behind the cover of the pad.

o

Replacement pads should be a parts item. I've bought several (Bosch) brand over the counter at a local dealer. You may even be able to replace them with hook & loop, if you are so inclined.

o

"You may even be able to replace them with hook & loop"

Hook & loop is painfully expensive unless there is a lot of use to pay back for the extra cost.

It allows the paper to be removed and then used again at a later date, vs PSA discs that are pretty much wrecked during removal.

o

It's not the pads that are the issue.
It's the flat round part where the pads stick.
Or don't stick at the moment.

I'm going to try to clean it up.
I'll let you know what happens! :)

o

The "flat round part" is usually a thin layer of plastic applied to the sponge pad to keep dust out of the sponge and provide a better surface for the PSA pads to adhere.

'Hot' solvents can damage the foam portion behind the thin layer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here