Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to finish end grain birch

Posted by downtowner (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 12:14

My end grain birch floor has just been installed in my sunny, south-facing study.

We want to finish it more or less naturally. However, the way it looks now is too bland. We want to bring out the natural grain of the wood by increasing contrast. We would not mind warming it a little bit.

What is the very best way to finish it to bring out, maybe enhance, the natural grain and color of the wood?

Not surprisingly, the processing the camera does automatically makes the pictures seem closer to the look we want than the floor itself is in its current unfinished state.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

ps. I originally posted this in the flooring forum, but got no response.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to finish end grain birch

Does it get drum-sanded?
Seems like you need a solution to the joints, like some kind of wood grout.
On the very first This Old House series in 1978, the put an end-grain wood floor in the project's kitchen. The installer "grouted" it with a mixture of sawdust and sanding sealer worked in with a float or squeegee. Then they took off the excess with burlap.
I can't recall what they did next; I would let the sealer dry, then screen the floor and apply an oil polyurethane. The finish would need to be compatible with the sealer/grout. If you could use a water base sealer, that would keep the floor as light as possible; an oil sealer will let it go more amber.
If you don't mind the joints as they are, and you want it warm-hued, I'd recommend Waterlox finish.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here