Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe wood option for kids bed frame

Posted by the-tech-guy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 11:14

Hello group,
I need to make a wooden bed support for my toddler's Little Tikes train bed. My question is what is the safest wood to use that won't emit any unhealthly fumes? Also should I use plywood or furring strips?

Thanks you
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe wood option for kids bed frame

What exactly are your concerns?

Avoid woods that have been treated for outdoor use and engineered woods such as OSB and MDF (that can off-gas).

Other than that, the only concern I can think of is irritation during sawing and shaping, or if there is any allergic sensitivity. For example, my daughter has allergic sensitivity to aromatic red cedar.

o

You want to use hardwoods, not building materials---like ply or furring strips.

Maple, walnut, oak, poplar are the easily obtained varieties.

o

I agree with handymac.Solid wood kids' bed frames tend to be the most appealing choices, because they are both sturdy and naturally attractive. Quality wood kids' bed frames will often utilize the natural beauty of the wood itself to create a stunning design in any kids' bedroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here