Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have I ruined the finish?

Posted by rachelellen (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 10:19

On a customer's wood table? I am a housekeeper, and while I was using rubbing alcohol to clean a tv screen, I spilled some on their coffee table. I wiped it up very quickly, but it has left a sort of dull patch on the finish, which is fairly shiny otherwise. It is dark wood, and the grain shows, but I'm not sure what the finish is.

The patch is not obvious looking straight down at it, but looking from the side so that the light angle is different it is obvious.

Any ideas as to what I can do about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have I ruined the finish?

My guess is that you have merely dulled the surface. Alcohol is a solvent for some finishes (shellac), but it would be unlikely that that's the finish on a coffee table unless it was very old.

I have had good luck removing this with "magic cloths," normally sold as "stain removal," "silicone removal," or "water ring removal" Jasco makes one that Lowe's carries, or Guardsman makes one that is hit or miss, but sometimes the Ace or True Value Hardware stores or Bed, Bath & Beyond, or by mail order.

They work in two ways -- an oil to remove water that's penetrated the finish (rubbing alcohol has some water in it), and a very fine abrasive to restore a gloss.

(I used these professionally quite frequently)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stain Remover Cloth

o

Thank you so much! I will give it a shot. My client has been very nice about it, but I want to fix this for her, and I'd rather not have to haul the table home to refinish! :D

o

bobsmyuncle, just a follow to say thank you again, the Jasco cloth worked perfectly. My customer is very pleased, says the table hasn't looked so good in years (there were a few other marks that I worked on while I was at it), plus she had a mark on another end table that I took off. I have a feeling I'm going to be pleasing the odd customer here and there with this little "magic trick".

:D Rachel

o

Glad to help. I usually buy these about 20 at a time, so you know I like them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here