Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Make Double Bead Trim?

Posted by chas045 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 9:16

I just saw another post on aquiring beading and it made me think that this forum might have advise on how to make a small amount of some double bead trim. I have an old small table that is missing some of the approx. one quarter inch double bead trim that goes around the edge of the skirt.

I had thought that I probably had a single bead router bit that might do the job and then realized that it would probably damage the second bead and probbly wouldn't be the right size anyway. How does anyone solve a problem like this? I have thought about making some modified hand plane; or I do have an old sears (small) shaper but I don't think they made a useful double bead cutter. Anyway, I have a wide variety of tools but no good ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Make Double Bead Trim?

Keep looking for router bits.

You may have to switch to a 'point' style bit that cuts one side of one bead if the detail is not near an edge.

o

The tool shown below has a beading cutter set. It cab be used to make a single, double, or triple bead.

One of the few Sears tools I use.

Here is a link that might be useful: shaper molder

o

Thanks brickeyee, yes I guess that is probably what I want. If I have seen those bits, I didn't realize what they did. That takes 4 passes to get the two beads.

And handymac, I may be lucky and have that set with the bead cutter bits still there. The only problem may come when that turns about to be the wrong size bead

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here