Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solid birch table refinishing - very nervous, will this work?

Posted by gayled (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 7:03

I've been looking for a solid birch table and chairs. I found exactly what I was looking for at a local store, except it was the wrong color. The table has one leave and six parson style chairs, 2 arm, 4 side, manufactured by Canadel. The owner of the store (which has a few locations and has been around for many years)has a shop where they used to build custom furniture, but no longer do, probably because of imports/demand etc. He quoted me a price to refinish the table/chairs to the color that I would like. He says they have a "spraying booth" and are well versed in refinishing since they used to build furniture for many years. He quoted me a price of $3,000 for the floor model refinished. If I were to order the set, it would be $4500.

He spent an hour with me explaining that this was not difficult for his shop to handle. So, I gave him a deposit and now I'm very nervous.

Questions - I explained that I wanted a very durable finish on the table top that I didn't have to baby. What kind of finish would be best? I'm embarrassed to say, I never even asked what he would use. He just reassured me over and over again, that I would be very happy and it would be "better" than the factory.

Will the factory finish be harder than what he can do?

Advice please. Should I kill this deal and order a new one? Obviously, I'd love to save money, but I don't want to forsake quality.

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solid birch table refinishing - very nervous, will this work?

Should be OK, can you refuse it, if it is not to your liking?

o
RE: Solid birch table refinishing - very nervous, will this work?

Second sloyd's hope that you can refuse if you don't like it. Staining birch can be difficult, but being able to spray can make it easier. The fact the dealer has a spray booth suggests he might know what he's doing. For a dining room table you want a good waterproof finish--I would think almost certainly a varnish, probably a polyurethane varnish or phenolic resin varnish. Note that varnishes can take a while to harden. Like months sometimes. Watch the surface of the table in low-angled backlighting after removing a heavy object that's been sitting on it awhile. If you see a depression or little dents in the varnish, use a tablecloth for awhile (a few months), and remove everything from the table when you're not using it. Alternatively, don't obsess, as my wife is always telling me, and just use it. It's a dining room table, not a museum exhibit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here