Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momtoollie

Solid birch table refinishing - very nervous, will this work?

momtoollie
13 years ago

I've been looking for a solid birch table and chairs. I found exactly what I was looking for at a local store, except it was the wrong color. The table has one leave and six parson style chairs, 2 arm, 4 side, manufactured by Canadel. The owner of the store (which has a few locations and has been around for many years)has a shop where they used to build custom furniture, but no longer do, probably because of imports/demand etc. He quoted me a price to refinish the table/chairs to the color that I would like. He says they have a "spraying booth" and are well versed in refinishing since they used to build furniture for many years. He quoted me a price of $3,000 for the floor model refinished. If I were to order the set, it would be $4500.

He spent an hour with me explaining that this was not difficult for his shop to handle. So, I gave him a deposit and now I'm very nervous.

Questions - I explained that I wanted a very durable finish on the table top that I didn't have to baby. What kind of finish would be best? I'm embarrassed to say, I never even asked what he would use. He just reassured me over and over again, that I would be very happy and it would be "better" than the factory.

Will the factory finish be harder than what he can do?

Advice please. Should I kill this deal and order a new one? Obviously, I'd love to save money, but I don't want to forsake quality.

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, opinions.

Comments (2)