Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Poplar and Maple accents stain similar

Posted by fothia (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 6:36

Hi, I'lm finishineg my own furniture feet and corbels for our kitchen reno. Bought the stain and glaze from the cab manufacturer. (cherry cabs, fairly dark stain and espresso glaze). The feet I found are cherry (already bought, smaller corbels I found that I like are maple, but the larger ones are poplar (haven't bought either yet, but perfect syle, size, price and love them. Just wondering if they will accept the stain extremely differently. I plan on using a wood conditioner prior to staininig and will be using the black glaze fairly heavily so they will be a darker accent to match the other black accents I have in the kitchen. So I'm not trying to match the cabs but would like them to match eachother as much as possible. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Poplar and Maple accents stain similar

They stain differently because poplar is much softer than maple. You need to stain the maple and then get some pieces of scrap poplar to play with. I could tell you more but I don't want to go to the trouble if you don't want to take the time and expense and effort. If you don't, get the minwax stain and pratice on a piece of scrap maple and poplar.

o

Basics of staining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staining wood

o

Thank you both for the info, my original idea is probably too ambitious for my level of experience. I think I'll just stick to ordering all unfinished cherry pieces and hope that I can get those to match fairly well. Thanks again, great link, Jody

o

In the hopes that you still answer responses to this post, I wanted to ask you which manufacturer produced your kitchen bay window. I have been looking for a quality wood bay window and yours appears to be just that, or it may be fiberglass clad with wood. Mind giving me just the simple rundown of what you remember about it. Thanks!
jay

o

The darker the better in terms of being able to disguise the difference. The overglaze/toning will also help. Staining real cherry dark seems like such a waste to me.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here