Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on coping base molding

Posted by prime81 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 2:45

I'm just learning how to cope, and I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I have a question on how to cope a particular piece of molding.

It's this molding:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29946-1487-6238FBDPM&lpage=none

I'm having a hard time creating a perfect coped joint, because the top of the molding is flat. The way I've done it, the coped piece of molding is having to slightly rest on top of the other piece (~1mm). Is there a solution to coping moldings with flat tops?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on coping base molding

I make a double back cut for that situation. Back cut the top into the beginning of the face, and then back cut the face. Takes a bit of practice----I learned to leave the top backcut a bit long as it is easier to shorten the top than the face.

o

You can leave a wafer-thin portion of the miter at the very top of the coped piece, then lay that over the butted piece so it resembles a miter. If you try it, you'll need a real steady hand to cut it and not lose the paper-like tail of wood. Most of us never worry about making base that perfect, because it's just base.
Casey

o

"Most of us never worry about making base that perfect, because it's just base."

Maybe on paint grade, but stained base needs to be dead on!

You can cut the coping a little strong leaving some material to be filed to get your edge. Takes more time and patience, but you'll get a nice joint.

o

I obviously did a poor job explaining what I meant, which was this: regular workmanlike coping is adequate for baseboards, and leaving the miter tip at the peak is probably overkill. Such detail is best left for piano cases and jewelry boxes.
I'm not advocating sloppy work.
Casey

o

Thanks for all your advice!

I was hoping there was an easier way, but I guess I will have to be patient and work with what I've got :P.

o

Sorry for my misunderstandin', Casey. I need to sharpen my pencil!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here