Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinileo

What is the best paint for kitchen cabinets

illinileo
19 years ago

I would like some input on paint brand and type (latex vs. oil-based) for kitchen cabinets. I have seen Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Pratt & Lambers, and Dunn Edwards suggested. I have kids, so the paint needs to be durable.

Also, should I apply a topcoat over the paint? Any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks

Comments (26)

• Jason_MI
    19 years ago

Ditto. I've had just incredible success with Sherwin Williams Proclassic Waterborne Interior Acrylic Enamel. Great, great stuff for woodwork, furniture, cabinets. Smooth as glass when applied, looks great, stands up to 3-year olds. Check it out.

• illinileo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Unfortunately the SW ProClassic doesn't come in deep colors. Neither does the new BM Waterborne Impervo. I am painting a deep color with a satin finish. Any suggestions?

• back_yard_guy
    19 years ago

Like Putz, I've had great luck with Benjamin Moore. I also wouldn't touch Behr with a 10' pole. I've had equally great results with Pratt & Lambert, and based on some recent experiences, I have put Sherwin Williams in the same category as Behr.

• catcreat_grm_net
    17 years ago

How does the BM Waterborne Impervo and Cabinet Coat compare? I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I paint my cabinets. Any Opinions???

• dperk
    17 years ago

I don't usually follow this forum but will throw in my $0.02 worth. Prep is often more critical than the topcoat. Have the cabinets been primed, sanded etc? Are you recoating over old paint?

• patches123
    17 years ago

A lady on the kitchen forum used BM Imnpervo in a deep dark chocolate color and is very happy...her name is girlwithaspirn. You might try checking her posts over ont he kitchen forum.

• loomis
    17 years ago

I'm using the Cabinet Coat paint on my kitchen cabinets and woodwork. I discovered this wonderful paint in the Home Decorating forum and the following link will give you more information about it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Coat Paint

• yadax3
    17 years ago

I've used CC and it's great but it only comes in light/pastel colors.

We painted our cabinets a deep Tuscan Red using BM's oil-based enamel (Impervo I think). Clean up was more difficult, of course, but they turned out nice and the finish has withstood pounding from my granddaughter's push toys.

• silvergold
    17 years ago

We actually have had excellent results with Behr. We have painted cabinets in two bathrooms as well as a TV cabinet in our bedroom. We lightly sanded the surface to rough it up and then primed with Zinzer (make sure it says 'for glossy surfaces'). We have had them painted for a couple of years now with no sign of wear.

Prior to that we had used a paint called Quick Solution Acrylic. The nice thing about it is that it does not require a primer. The colors are very limited, though, and it isn't available locally any more.

• liliswe
    15 years ago

Having millwork done in my entire house (remodel...), want my kitchen painted, and possibly some other built ins as well. Is enamel paint better than lacquer and varnish? Would you also use it in living room or children's room? We're using BM-paints.
    We don't have small children, I'm more worried about splashing water around the sink-area...

• dreynoldswa_COMCAST_NET
    13 years ago

Has anyone used the Krylon Transitions kitchen cabinet paint kit?

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Is enamel paint better than lacquer and varnish?"

Generally.

One of the problems with just about all the paints now on the market is the reduced VOC rules making the pait excessively thick and preventing good leveling after application.

Add Floetrol to latex paints and Penetrol to alkyd paint to improve the handling and leveling.

About 4-8 ounces per gallon seems to be right most of the time.

I usually add it in a paint bucket to the paint and leave the can of paint 'straight.'

• tajhmarie23_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am ready to repaint my kitchen cabinets. They were painted white but they get really dirty. I want to repaint them White. What is the type of paint to use that will be durable and hopefully stay clean. I would also LOVE A GREAT shine to them.

• tajhmarie23_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am ready to repaint my kitchen cabinets. They were painted white but they get really dirty. I want to repaint them White. What is the type of paint to use that will be durable and hopefully stay clean. I would also LOVE A GREAT shine to them.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I would also LOVE A GREAT shine to them."

There are number of full gloss acrylic paints available.

The need some Floetrol for leveling, but dry to a hard glossy surface.

• Tecopa
    12 years ago

Stick with an enamel paint, one of the hardest. Save some paint.

• amijo
    10 years ago

I went to ace hardware to buy benjamin moore paint for old kitchen cabinets. paint person said kensington clark was much better for old cabinets than benjamin moore, so I bought it. I don't see anything on this forum about using Kc.
    ??????????
    do I need to just write off this gallon of kc and go back and buy benjamin moore? joann

• pattybaehr
    10 years ago

If you will notice, some of these comments are as far back as 2005, so I would not ditch what was suggested to you at the store just because some people like other products. Maybe this is the new kid on the block, and very good.
    I don't think in a case like this there is one "best" product. Like someone said, sometimes it depends on your individual surface, and also prep work is very. very important. Also, there are tools involved. If you are using a brush to apply, what is the best size, type, bristle material, etc...
    Some people will tell you that you will not get a good result doing it yourself, and to hire a professional. Experience is 20/20.

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

Just curious why some don't like Behr? I've used a lot of it in my home, and other than the one time I tried the pain and primer in one (don't) I have been very happy with it. What don't I know?

• CabinetHardwareEtc
    10 years ago

Definitely stick with latex. Granted, oil paint goes on smoother and leaves a great finish, but it yellows a bit over time. You won't even notice it until you go to touch something up.

I like Muralo paint. Yes... I know... you've never heard of it. But still, it's great stuff. Hard to find, but worth it IMO.

See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Murlao paint

• kimberlynchicago
    10 years ago

I think latex, but I'm no professional. I am about 3/4's done with painting my kitchen cabinets, and believe it or not, I used spray (from a can) on the doors and matching latex on the bases. It's been about 4 months since I started it, I'm embarrassed to say since I can do only a small section at a time, but here's what I use:
    1. sanding block (easy and quick since I have mostly flat surfaces)
    2. Rustoleum ultra cover satin espresso spray and brush-on (2 coats each)
    3. Minwax polycrylic protective finish (3 coats each)
    I'll post a link to the pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: process of painting my kitchen cabinets

• annettesowell
    7 years ago

I just had professional painters paint my kitchen cabinets with primer and 2 coats of oil based paint - should I put a protective finish on them? If so, what?

• User
    7 years ago

The paint is the protective finish. Nothing else is necessary.

• Lena Marshall
    7 years ago

Contrary to some, I have had terrific results with Behr. Prep is key to a good paint job.