Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 questions for woodworkers

Posted by suzan30 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 0:16

I am new to this board but would appreciate your help.

I have a solid oak front door that is looking very weathered. I was wondering whether gel stain might be used on it to improve the appearance. Is it suitable for an exterior application? What prep is required?

Secondly, I am planning to remodel a bathroom. I bought a vanity on the spur of the moment at a close out sale, only to discover that the 22 inch depth is too deep for my small 5 x 8 bathroom. I was wondering whether cutting it down to 18 inches might allow me to salvage it. It is solid maple and shaker style. What kind of saw would be necessary?

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 questions for woodworkers

Gel stain is more paint than stain. The problem is in the UV rays that cause the weathered look.

Research stains or dyes that have UV protection or finishes that include UV protection.

Sell/donate the vanity and get the right size. Trying to resize a vanity is not worth the effort even if the right tools were available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here