Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best hinge for inset kitchen doors

Posted by ezbake (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 22:32

We need a high quality hinge for inset kitchen cabinet doors that is self-closing.
My husband wants the self-closing and a hinge that will protect the cabinets from the abuse children might put on the cabinets. I prefer the exposed pin look. Is there such a hinge that is exposed pin that is high quality, self-closing for inset doors? (We have incredibly cheap exposed hinges now that the doors are turning on/getting crooked, and one hinge has already broke and our kitchen remodel is not even yet complete!!!)

Thanks for your ideas!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best hinge for inset kitchen doors

I don't know about self closing but check Ball and Ball or Whitecastle.

o

I think you would need to use a blum hinge (euro hinge) and a "fake hinge plate" to give the illusion of mortised hinges. At least it's twice as much work as either kind by itself. AFAIK, there's no self-closing mortise or non-mortise butt-type hinges.
Casey

o

Thanks guys! I had a feeling about there being no such thing as self-closing mortise or non-mortise butt-type hinges....your idea of a fake hinge plate was one my husband mentioned.... sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll go ahead and get the blum hinges and go without the exposed hinges. Sounds like they would make it easier to adjust the cabinets and get the doors properly aligned. Thank you so much for your help.

p.s. what is AFAIK?

o

as far as I know...

o

Thanks!

o

Take a look at Whitecastle, Horton Brass, and Ball and Ball's web sights and if you can, call them for a catalogue. They make the finest hinges in the industry and even if you don't order from them their catalogues are a trip in themselves.

o

Here is some good info on concealed hinges. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: theDIYsource.com

o

Hey Guys
If you want a traditional hinge look, but you want to use a concealed hinge, check out my EuroButt II hinge at
www. eurobuttsystemshinge. com

I'm a cabinetmaker in NJ. I invented this faux hinge in 1996. We just completed several improvements and we also have 5 finishes.

Good luck to all.
Birdie Miller

Here is a link that might be useful: EuroButt System hinge decorative hinge trim for concealed hinges

o

I've done several kitchens and libraries using hinges along the same idea as Birdie's idea.

Use 32mm euro hinges as the actual operating mechanism and a modified butt hinge for decorative purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here