Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood species of 1960's casings

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 22:02

My folks' house was built in the early 60's in Philadelphia. I'm trying to figure out the trimwork material after overlooking (and not appreciating) it after all these years. Simple clamshell profiles on the casing, which are varnished (I think). The wood is a warm honey tone with a soft, smooth grain. Any ideas what material that might be?

The baseboards (also clamshell) are natural and a kind of red/brown tone.

As a final note, I have to hand it to the trim carpenters they had. Amazing work. Not a bad joint or hammer ding anywhere, and I believe it was all hand nailed. Wow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood species of 1960's casings

You're not going to get anywhere with this without posting a photo.

o

Yup, after I posted I thought the same thing. I'll get pics on a future visit.

o

Shot in the dark(pun intended)

Mahogany.

Was a popular trim material in the East for years, especially early in the 20th century.

o

That's a good shot in the dark. Looking at some google images, I think you nailed it. Thanks much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here