Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterlox- Doing another coat- Satin Issues?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 21:34

Hey All,
We got our walnut island top in December and we already had some major scratches from our ceramic dishes most likely (which I've now sanded down the bottoms so they are smoother). To the best of my knowledge, my cab maker did 3 coats original and one satin but I think they buffed it out after- (not really sure)
Anyway, maybe b/c it wasn't fully cured it seemed to scratch easy. Lately it hasn't scratched nearly as much.

I spoke to Waterlox a few times. They told me spot fixing doesn't work well with the Satin finish. Today I followed their directions. (cleaned, "sanded" with 0000 steel wool, and then put on a coat of Satin. I started using a lambswool applicator but switched to a cotton cloth. I was very careful to view it at all angles and make sure surface wasn't bubbly and didn't have overlapping lines, etc...

Now that's it has dried it is streaky. From many angles it looks good but we get a lot of light and you can see lines in it and it kind of looks dull or cloudy? When you look at light reflections in it there is inconsistency in the gloss level as well. The woman at WL said I shouldn't have used a rag- especially with the satin- and that I may not have used enough WL and possible "overworked" it.

Anyway, I'll be doing this over but now have read many people online saying the Satin is much more difficult to work with due to the dulling agents in it that make it less shiny.
Now I'm just thinking I should stick with the Waterlox Original which people say is easier to apply and sets up better. Any Thoughts?

I tried to take photos but they don't capture the problem.

This thread just shows pics of my prior scratches.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0102432124028.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterlox- Doing another coat- Satin Issues?

Streaking usually means you didn't get complete coverage - wiped it too thin and left bare spots.

I do the "dunk and swab" method, dipping my wiping rag into a shallow container of the oil, then wiping it on in a circular pattern to fill the grain and scratches and get good copverage, finishing with a light-pressure long sweep with the grain to remove the excess.

Check promptly with an oblique light source to make sure the surface is evenly wet after you apply a coat. If not, apply more and re-do the sweep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here