Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Waterlox- Doing another coat- Satin Issues?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

Hey All,
We got our walnut island top in December and we already had some major scratches from our ceramic dishes most likely (which I've now sanded down the bottoms so they are smoother). To the best of my knowledge, my cab maker did 3 coats original and one satin but I think they buffed it out after- (not really sure)
Anyway, maybe b/c it wasn't fully cured it seemed to scratch easy. Lately it hasn't scratched nearly as much.

I spoke to Waterlox a few times. They told me spot fixing doesn't work well with the Satin finish. Today I followed their directions. (cleaned, "sanded" with 0000 steel wool, and then put on a coat of Satin. I started using a lambswool applicator but switched to a cotton cloth. I was very careful to view it at all angles and make sure surface wasn't bubbly and didn't have overlapping lines, etc...

Now that's it has dried it is streaky. From many angles it looks good but we get a lot of light and you can see lines in it and it kind of looks dull or cloudy? When you look at light reflections in it there is inconsistency in the gloss level as well. The woman at WL said I shouldn't have used a rag- especially with the satin- and that I may not have used enough WL and possible "overworked" it.

Anyway, I'll be doing this over but now have read many people online saying the Satin is much more difficult to work with due to the dulling agents in it that make it less shiny.
Now I'm just thinking I should stick with the Waterlox Original which people say is easier to apply and sets up better. Any Thoughts?

I tried to take photos but they don't capture the problem.

This thread just shows pics of my prior scratches.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0102432124028.html

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living