Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peonybush

Can I stain butcher block? How do I seal?

peonybush
12 years ago

We are in the middle of a complete kitchen renovation. In the pantry we have installed butcher block. This will be used for simple food prep (toaster oven will be here). I would like to stain it to match the island in the kitchen. Can I stain it and have it food safe? How do I seal this?

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

i do not believe you can stain on it and have it be food safe, and i wood get the sealant. The companies that make the butcherblock usually offer 2 products a penetrating oil and or a sealant. Both can be used as a cutting board surface, however the sealant will show all the cuts and need to be refinished more often where as the penetrating oil just get rubbed in periodically

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"i do not believe you can stain on it and have it be food safe, and i wood get the sealant."

Once cured most finishes are safe, but manufacturers are not about to go through the FDA gamut to have them declared 'food safe.'

Behlen salad bowl finish is 'food safe'

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

If you are not cutting on the surface, you can use a film-forming finish. Waterlox makes an excellent one. But any varnish would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Folly of Food-Safe finishes.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

On a related note, my husband and I started DIYing our butcher block countertops, but for various reasons are having a contractor finish the installation. I plan on sanding off the factory finish and coating with Waterlox, but do I need to wait for the pocket screws to be routed in? How about the enlarged screw holes (for movement in contraction or expansion)? I heard once that every surface should be coated to prevent warping, but I'm not sure if it meant installation holes, too. It would be nice if I could do the sanding and Waterlox now before turning the rest of the project over, but I'll wait if the router holes will need coated.

• andersons21
    12 years ago

Why would you sand off a factory finish and then finish with Waterlox? You cannot possibly improve the protection over a factory finish.

Coating every surface makes no difference for warping.

BTW, have you ever sanded off a factory finish? Do you know what that entails? I experimented sanding 20-year-old lacquer off my cabinet doors, to see if it would be a viable alternative to stripping. I have a powerful variable-speed random-orbital sander, and with 100 grit and probably 20 minutes of time I didn't get all the finish off on tiny little door. I have stripped other doors, and that was MUCH quicker and easier, so that's what I'll keep doing. And, my old lacquer is a thin and weak coating compared to a new factory finish of the catalyzed stuff they are using nowadays.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

"Coating every surface makes no difference for warping."

I beg to differ ... I bought a small chunk of butcherblock for stain and finish testing, and only stained and top-coated on one side.

That thing warped badly, and at its worst was cupped almost an inch. It slowly went back into shape over the next several months as the moisture equilibrated, but it was definitely warped.

The first thing I do with my new butcherblock countertops will be to seal the underside with one quick coat of Waterlox.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Any uncoated side of wood can absorb or give off moisture and cause warping.
    I have never been able to get a butcher block end grain to accept stain.