Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unfinished Pine student desk. Question on the final coat

Posted by amav31 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 20:28

I brought a Millstores Aspen student desk and chair and a Pine bookcase.

This is my first staining project. After some research on google on the how-to's , I plan to use a wood conditioner
and then use a water based stain. My question is- after the stain, what kind of final finish is best for a kindergartner desk. The desk gets lots of marks from color pens and crayons. I want a easy cleanup.

Also can someone suggest the brands used for wood conditioners and stains. Is minwax good. ?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unfinished Pine student desk. Question on the final coat

One more question.. since the desk is Aspen and the Bookshelf is Pine,can I get a matching stain.? Should I start off staining the desk first and then do the bookshelf last.?

o
RE: Unfinished Pine student desk. Question on the final coat

Pine and aspen can both be difficult to stain well, particularly with Minwax stains.

Note the article below suggest ignoring the directions on the can of conditioner. Be careful, too, if you mix oil-based conditioners and water-based stains.

Another option is to get a good stain.

As much as I think polyurethane is used way too often, it might be a good choice for your desk application.
Finishign for first timers

Here is a link that might be useful: blotching

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here