Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coffee table finish

Posted by crazyone (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 19:57

my husband made me a lovely coffee table out of very old grainery lumber. we think possible fir. he sanded it down just enough to remove the uneven layer and crud but want to put a natural finish on it. My aunt suggested watco oil, she uses on all her antique furniture

any opinions from others who do this as a hobby or living :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coffee table finish

See my response to your other post about the magazine rack.

Watco is an oil-varnish blend. It has a soft, in-the-wood, feel. There should be little to no film build up on the surface. If you plan on putting sweaty socks or beverages without coasters on your coffee table, it will not be super protective. That means less protective than a film finish like varnish. On the positive side, when Watco starts to look dull (and it will in a few years), it's easy enough to pull out the can and add another coat. You can wet-sand it in with either wet-or-dry sandpaper or Scotch-Brite pads.

So, it's really a choice of the "look and feel" you want.

In case these two thread diverge, I've attached the link to this one, too.

(I do this as a living and a hobby

Here is a link that might be useful: Facts about oil finishes

o
RE: coffee table finish

Watco is a good choice if you're looking for a "natural" look but as mentioned previously, it offers little protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here