Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone with BOSCH 1617 Router - centering question

Posted by poorowner (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 19:42

I bought a circle jig and it require you to take off the original mounting plate of the plunge base. I am afraid I can't put it back on center properly. The manual says you COULD use those tapered screws to center the plate and it will be "very close to centered"

I looked at those holes for the screws, and they won't thread in with where the factory set it (hope this makes sense).. so I am afraid to use this method.

They sell a centering cone also, is that going to work better? Do I need a template guide to use the centering cone? I think it's BS that you have to pay extra to center your router?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone with BOSCH 1617 Router - centering question

What kind of circle jig? Is it the one that pivots the entire router around a fixed center point, like for cutting round table tops?

The only time you need to have the router bit perfectly centered in the base plate is when using a guide bushing to trace a jig, like cutting dovetails. I center it visually during setup. Put the guide bushing on the base plate and the base plate loosely on the router base. Insert the router bit through the guide bushing and into the router collet and tighten. With the bit tight in the router, you can visually center the base plate by looking at the tiny gap between the bushing and bit.

o
RE: Anyone with BOSCH 1617 Router - centering question

Yes, the centering bit will work quite well.

The centering is required when changing base plates, since the manufacturer cannot guarantee the different base plate makers---you can even make your own baseplates----will get the plates centered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here